[thelist] home page max size

Alliax damiencola at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 12 10:37:12 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: aardvark <roselli at earthlink.net>
> double?  who's recommended maximum?
>
> over here, our max is 24k... that would make it more than 5 times
> my recommended maximum...

It was a maximum page weight I had in mind since 1997, not an average max,
simply the most you would charge a page..

33.6Kbps is theorically 4.2KB/s so 70Kb would be downloaded in 17 seconds, makes
that 30 seconds in real life and it was the maximum one would wait for a page to
display. (in my head, at that time.. now I have DSL 30 seconds seems a looooong
time to wait)

> and an alt attribute doesn't mean someone will wait -- it means
> they don't *have* to...

Yes, for advice, I'd say if you're going to do large graphics, make them
progressive if JPG or interlaced if GIF, at least the user can see something
moving as he's waiting..