[thelist] permissions problem with new IIS5 setup

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Wed Dec 12 17:21:38 CST 2001

I just built a Win2K server for some temporary testing. I was pretty sure I
set it up just like ALL THE OTHERS I've built which worked just fine, but no
matter what I do (file perms, IIS permissions wizard, pounding head on desk)
it challenges for authentication when I try to http to the site using
http://localhost or http://IPaddress or http://machine_name . That might be
okay, but nothing I enter will authenticate, either. Tried every possible
combination of anonymous/basic/NT auth as well.

Opens fine in file mode (c:\\inetpub\wwwroot\etc\blah) but of course, that
limits the funtionality of the SSI.

Today is not my favorite day. Can I get a refund?

spinhead