[thelist] pop up windows without javascript

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Dec 12 18:04:58 CST 2001

Peter,

> Can I create server side pop-ups rather using JavaScript pop-ups?

    What do you mean by "server side pop-ups"? If you mean client-side
pop-up windows generated by server-side scripting, then no, you can't.

> I have a client who wants pop-ups on their site, but after I created them
> discovered that they are fond users of pop-up killer applications.  So
they
> still want pop-ups but want to satisfy the people with the pop-up killers
too.
> Can it be done?

    Sounds like wanting to swim without having to go into the water. The
only way you could do anything like this is to place a target="_blank"
attribute in either an anchor element or a form element and entice the user
to click either the associated link or submit button. Not sure if that will
get you past the pop-up killers, though. And I suspect that this isn't quite
what you, or they, are looking for.

James Aylard