[thelist] pop up windows without javascript

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Wed Dec 12 18:10:45 CST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Peter Kaulback wrote:

> Can I create server side pop-ups rather using JavaScript pop-ups?
> I have a client who wants pop-ups on their site, but after I created them I
> discovered that they are fond users of pop-up killer applications.  So they
> still want pop-ups but want to satisfy the people with the pop-up killers too.
> Can it be done?
> Happy holidays.

*giggle*  I imagine that the Netscape 4 API might provide for a way to do
this - but don't take my word for it.

In the case of IE, what your client wants isn't possible (since IE doesn't
support server push).  Someone more knowledgeable about the guts of
Netscape 6 will have to answer for that user agent, but I'd bet it's not
possible there either.

Ah, I love the smell of unrealistic client expectations toasted to a
golden brown...

Another poster has mentioned target="_blank" - does that even work for AOL
& WebTV environments, or environments where a pop-up killer is running?

[It'd be an easy task, I suspect to write a DLL that forces the browser to
ignore the target attribute, or that causes the value when set to revert
to "_self" (the default).]

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."