[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Dec 12 21:46:51 CST 2001

> What I mean is, I want to have the nav stay in place
> once the site is open. Having it on each page, regardless
> of how I decide to put it there, means it will 'start over'
> every time a user clicks through to another page.

hi chad

one way to deal with this is to ensure the nav bar is very "light" by
eliminating, or drastically slimming down, the use of images, and by being
rigourous in placing it in the exact same place on each page

then, although each page does indeed "start over" as you put it, it doesn't
really look like that's what it's doing

also, by eternalizing style sheets and scripts so that they are cached on
second and subsequent pages in the site, you greatly improve the rendering
time, thereby enhancing the instantaneous effect

finally, it certainly helps not to use tables for layout, or, if you must,
then at least to isolate the table for the nav bar and "stack" it over the
rest of the body

feel free to click around on my site (there's not all that much there, so
maybe that enhances the effect, i don't know) and see if you notice the
"starting over" effect or not -- http://rudy.ca/

> [A] If I'm gearing this toward more current-version
> browsers (it's a personal site - I'm not designing for
> browsers older than version 4), is the argument
> against frames, such as it is, still valid?

the arguments (note: plural) against frames apply to all browsers forever

;o)

rudy