[thelist] pop up windows without javascript

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Wed Dec 12 23:08:20 CST 2001

> > Can I create server side pop-ups rather using JavaScript pop-ups? I
> > have a client who wants pop-ups on their site, but after I created
> > them I discovered that they are fond users of pop-up killer
> > applications. So they still want pop-ups but want to satisfy the
> > people with the pop-up killers too.  Can it be done?

 hi peter

No such thing as server control of window openings, for good
reason, the browser belongs to the user, not the website. But, most
pop-up stoppers tell the user that it stopped a pop-up and has an
easy toggle for turning it off. If your pop-up has a legitimate purpose
(does not contain intusive advertising etc) and is in response to a
user selection, most users will probably toggle the stopper off and
retry. People don't usually object to pop-ups per se, it's the content
and purpose and whether or not it's in response to their action or
something thrown at them beyond their control. You may have less
of a problem than you think.

You may also want to reconsider what a pop-up is. As rudy said,
"you could try dhtml with hidden/visible layers".   Depending on what
you're putting in your pop-up you may be able to place it in an
overlay layer, making the layer visible as the user selects it. You can
also use ILAYER and IFRAME, calling different documents to the
layer as the user selects the content. A plus with using layers
instead of pop-ups is that they don't have to look like a mini-
browser. Your imagination is the boundary. With one caution, NN
will not create auto scrollbars inside an overlay, you have to create
programmatic scrollbars using "clipping" but they too can look cool
and with minor tinkering IE can use them too instead of the ones it
would provide.

Here's an example. Utimately this opens a pop-up window but the
vendor holding the list of qpons is what I mean about using a layer
to create a non-mini browser "pop-up" with layers.
http://www.doqpons.com/demo/

keith