[thelist] home page max size

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 12 23:32:39 CST 2001

> From: Gerd Baumann <gb at inetwire.com>
>
> > don't use it... in fact, refuse to use any site that instead of
> > accepting the URL without the "www," it *refreshes* me to the
> > "www"-prepended version...
>
> Aardvark, would you care to elaborate or do you have
> any links on this topic? Just interested.

go to http://ebay.com/...

it displays a page with the URL with the "www," instead of just
taking you to the site... why?

i don't type in the "www" anymore... it really isn't needed... back in
the old days, you needed it to get to the right port or machine
(since there could be telnet.foo.com, gopher.foo.com, ftp.foo.com,
mail.foo.com, etc...) because there were so many options, with the
added benefit of knowing the protocol...

now that the web is ubiquitous and people equate a domain name
with a web site, it just seems silly...

still can't find a link to that article where a guy rants about how
easy it is to update the DNS record and that there's no reason
*not* to do it...

anyone?