[thelist] How do you handle search engine optimization?

Michael Goddard michael at tdh-marketing.com
Thu Dec 13 07:30:54 CST 2001

Search Engine Optimization is a LOT of work.  If you do not have the
necessary man/woman power nor time, then you should consider hiring either
someone who is experienced within the field or hire a SEO company to do the
work for you.

What I mean by a LOT of work is the following:

   Evaluation of web site design to optimize for Search Engine's criteria
and make changes as necessary.

   Research keyword phrases that best suit the web site's "theme" or
"product/service".

   Evaluation of web site content and optimize for Search Engines which
includes the necessary amount of keyword phrases within the title and body
copy.

   Submission of URL to Search Engines and monitoring when and where the URL
is showing up.

   Monitor the ever evolving world of Search Engines and directories and
prepare to make changes to the web site as needed.

This is just the tip of the iceberg really.  It takes a lot of time and
patience to enter into search engine optimization and with many of the
search directories like Yahoo and LookSmart, money is going to play a factor
as well since you MUST pay to be included within their directories now...!

So when we start talking to clients about search engines we explain the
process to them step by step and explain the differences in between search
engines and directories.  We show them "live" samples of other clients and
the process that was taken to get the client where they are now within the
search engines/directories.  Finally we cover the routes that can be taken,
using pay per clicks or just submitting to all "free" search
engines/directories, etc.

Search engine optimization, IMHO should be considered a seperate package
from web site development.  Even though you should start the SEO process
BEFORE the beginning of the web site development, I still considered it to
be a service in it's own arena.

HTH,

Michael