[thelist] Opinion on Navigation

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Thu Dec 13 10:17:33 CST 2001

On 10:07 AM 12/13/2001, Burhan Khalid said to me:
>Evolters :
>
>I'm sure you all have seen the cookie crumbs navigation technique, ie.
>
>Home > Products > Widgets > Widget001 > Details > Purchase
>
>if you are not familiar, this type of navigation provides links back to
>the Home page, and is usually in the header (top half) section of the
>webpage. The links are dynamically generated (usually through Javascript),
>so that clicking back, gives the appropriate tree. I was wondering if such
>a navigation system (when combined with others) provides a better user
>experience? Or does it tell the user (hey, I think you are too dumb to
>follow your way around)? Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Also,
>any other navigation techniques that you guys find effective? In doing a
>redesign, I am thinking of implementing the above scheme, but I don't want
>to go through it if it will hamper the online experience.

The one rule I've always tried to follow regarding navigation is to provide
the user with:

   - Where they've been.
   - Where they are.
   - Where they can go.

If you use the bread-crumb trail in conjunction with the page title, you've
provided them with the first two.  Standard navigation provides the third.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/