[thelist] Opinion on Navigation

Michael Buffington mike at stirlingbridge.com
Thu Dec 13 10:53:10 CST 2001

I think that breadcrumb navigation is not only effective, but it is, like
other people have mentioned, a standard.

In your own example, I know that I'm 6 levels deep, and I'm in no way
confused about where I am on the site (despite being pretty deep in the site
at 6 levels).

As far as being concerned about giving a message of "you're too dumb to get
around my site", I wouldn't worry about it. Good design is appreciated, even
if a particular segment of visitors are "too smart" for your navigation.

I drive a particular route on the freeway every day, and eventhough at this
point I could probably get to my destination without the exit signs and
such, I still appreciate that they're there, especially when I've pulled a
late nighter and need to be to work at 7:00am.

Michael Buffington
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Developer
Author ColdFusion 5.0 Developer's Guide (ISBN: 0072132256)
http://www.michaelbuffington.com
ph: (714) 404-8616
email: mike at stompzine.com
AIM: elbowdonkey