[thelist] Watermark backgrounds and AOL

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Thu Dec 13 11:21:01 CST 2001

> I didn't do the graphics or design on this page, but the graphics
person
> designed it with a watermark background. The project manager checked
it in
> AOL and said it looks awful. Well, the client wants it and I don't
think
> the problem is in my code, but I'm not a graphic artist.

Without any specific information about the issue at hand, my guess is
that the image is tiling. If so, then it would appear that they are
using the built-in aol browser, which would therefore appear to not like
the following two lines of css code...

    background-position : center top;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;

I'm not sure how you might want to go about dealing with that one, I'm
afraid... Of course, it could be a simple compression issue as the
others have mentioned.

One general suggestion: in your body tag, set leftmargin="0"
topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0". That'll get rid of the
funky white borders that are in the page and are somewhat visually
distracting - at least it'll get rid of the borders in supporting
browsers...

Hth,

-m