[thelist] home page max size

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 13 11:58:53 CST 2001

> From: Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com>
[...]
> Now, I'm also not an idiot so I make sure that mydomain.com has an A
> record that points to my webserver and I make sure that my webserver
> responds appropriately.  And I also make sure that
> www.hostedstore.mydomain.com serves up the same content as
> hostedstore.mydomain.com.  There are certainly good reasons to
> accommodate the expectations of the majority of users.  But that
> doesn't mean that we should toss naming conventions that have not, in
> my opinion, outlived their usefulness.

you'll note in one of my posts that i state that i understand the
need for things like ftp., mail., telnet., gopher. (ok, maybe not that
one), etc...

however, by default, i'd have the domain name itself -- without any
leading abbreviations -- point to the site...

IOW, you and i are on the same page, because i'm not suggesting
tossing out naming conventions...

heh... try adobe.com vs. www.adobe.com... there's *no* good
reason for that...