[thelist] Watermark backgrounds and AOL

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 13 12:08:42 CST 2001

> From: Mark Howells <mark at mountain.ch>
>
> I've made a quick test on the image at hand and while I agree on the
> general principle that images containing large areas of flat colour
> work best in GIF format, the one at hand may work better as a JPG.
>
> http://www.mark.ac/help/logo.gif  (3947 bytes)

http://roselli.org/xfer/logo.gif (2,594 bytes)

4 colors, no dither...

*however*, this file size is artificially *large* because the source file
was a .jpg with lossy compression... if you take it into PS, use the
lasso on the white with tolerance set to 0 and anti-aliasing
disabled, you'll see all sorts of non-white pixels... even cutting the
color palette to 4 colors can leave some of these stray pixels in,
killing the effectiveness of the RLE compression of .gif...

using the original source file would probably result in an
improvement of the file size...

> http://www.mark.ac/help/logo.jpg (3898 bytes, saved with PS6.01 at 73%
> quality, the best to get the file size the same as the GIF version)

3,898 bytes is the size of the version i pulled from the original
site... to recompress it as .jpg would result in a not much smaller
file with a lot more artifacting...

however, dragging the .jpg down to 2.53k (2,594 bytes) resulted in
some ugly artifacting for me... using the source file might make it
more acceptable...

> Though the points about AOL's image compression are probably the
> answer here, it may be worth looking at these two to see which is
> better.

absotively...