[thelist] Re: "Take back the web"

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu Dec 13 12:30:01 CST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, MacEdition's CodeBitch wrote:

> In that UseNet thread, Arthur Hagen writes:
>
> "However, all browsers
> *ignore* tags they don't understand, and degrade pretty well, as long as
> a minimum of care has been taken to not put critical information or
> navigation in browser-specific tags (or javascript)."
>
> But this is not true. Netscape 4 doesn't support the ABBR or ACRONYM tags,
> but including on in a DIV with a CSS border style will crash Netscape 4.0x.
> http://www.macedition.com/cb/testers/NNtest.html

Hi!  Yeah, I decided to jump into the Usenet thread with both feet.

For those who go and read the thread, my reply to Mr. da Silva's comments
fairly well speaks for itself - basically I wrote it off as a clash of
principles.

Five years ago, the guy was probably bitching that tables were being used
at all.

> And using the margin, float and clear CSS properties all together on an
> image crash Netscape 4 below about version 4.75. (Any two of these styles is
> fine).
>
> As for your characterisation of Mr da Silva as clueful, I found this comment
> of his bizarre:
>
> "I don't see them giving talks at Usenix, or at IETF presentations. They
> haven't written any RFCs or IETF drafts, or technical papers. They don't
> show up in security or technical papers, mailing lists, and the like. In
> other words, I see no reason to grant them any authority."
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&selm=9v76t9%242
> toc%241%40citadel.in.taronga.com
>
> While this might describe the webstandards.org people like Zeldman, it
> doesn't describe the other folk with similar views about CSS and other
> standards (if not the upgrade campaign), like, say Eric Meyer, Håkon Lie or
<snip>

You're preaching to the choir, here.  I checked the thread via IOCOM's
newsfeed, and I see that there've been no new posts.

It could be the newsfeed, though.

Perhaps you should post these comments to the news thread as well?

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."