[thelist] home page max size

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Dec 13 14:59:52 CST 2001

>TYME} Why not email the webmasters for a few of those
> big companies that you noticed do this and ask them.
> I'd be curious to know.

often, they are just too big to have any sort of reasonable response
process

i emailed the webmaster at sprint.ca ("cannot find server") on november 28,
pointing out the "Fix your WWW" article

now, www.sprint.ca runs a server called Zeus/3.3, so i told them that the
article (written for apache) might not help, but it at least addressed the
problem in terms that they (sprint) should be able to act on

okay, admittedly i did get slightly snarky, adding

     just as people no longer type "http://" in front of web
     addresses, it is becoming more and more common for
     people not to bother with the "www"

     you wouldn't want them to see the "page not found" message
     and decide that your phone service was as unreliable as your
     web site, right?

well, two full days later, i got a reply --

      Thank you for your comments regarding Sprint Canada's
      products and services.  We sincerely value your feedback.

      You have made some very good points, and we have passed
      this information along. Please be advised that due to the
      number of comments we receive, Sprint Canada is not always
      able to respond to all e-mail messages forwarded to our
      various departments.

it's now two weeks later, and sprint.ca still doesn't work

they just don't get it  (tm)

rudy