[thelist] Alternatives to Frames? (was: Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Dec 13 15:01:12 CST 2001

Chad:

I used to use frames extensively. The biggest thing that changed my mind was
a usability thing - a framed site's title is the title of the frameset
document, not the piece that changes. So, when I'm looking through my
history for that certain page, they're all named 'Welcome to Barney's
Beanery' instead of 'Hot As Hades Chili Recipe' which is what I wanted. So
now, I have to click back thru eleven pages to figure out which was the one
I wanted.

Not a big deal, maybe, but a deal, nonetheless. I just can't find any really
good reasons to use frames anymore. CSS and tables for layout, SSI for code
modularity, and lean pages for quick loading.

But I won't boycott your site for using frames.

spinhead

> At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I'd be
> interested to hear opinions on the use of frames in a
> website,
[ . . . ]