[thelist] Alternatives to Frames? (was: Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

Chad Savage jg3_savage at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 16:51:40 CST 2001

Thus far it seems the primary objection to frames is
that they prevent direct navigation (the noscroll 640
x 480 element, too, but that was just poor
implementation).

I have an idea to eliminate [or, at least, reduce]
this particular issue:

1] Include javascript within each frame page that
builds the frames back around the page (so it can't be
taken out of context) [I know it won't work with
browsers that have disabled javascript, but my whole
SITE won't work in that case, so it's moot]
2] Include some kind of "bookmark this page" element
on key pages

Further, I haven't seen any response to the subject of
iFrames...?

For what it's worth, if this was a site for a business
(or even somebody else), I'd be much more concerned
about these issues.

But, it's my own art site, and I'm willing to run the
risk of losing people that don't have the setup
required; It's the only time I get to make a site
exactly the way I want and sacrifice universal
usability to aesthetics ;)

Oh, and Rudy, 'bout the green crosshairs - shaddup ;P
I thought it was neato... at the time... yeah, I
know...

Chad

=====
§    chad savage