[thelist] Optimising ActionScript variable & function names

Lindsay Evans lindsay at redsquare.com.au
Thu Dec 13 23:34:46 CST 2001

Howdy,

Does anyone know of some sort of tool that will allow me to optimise my
Flash 5 ActionScript by shortening all of the variable & function names?
(and preferably allow me to specify a list of keywords to ignore)

... and no, I will not do it by hand, at last count I had over 3000 lines of
code in this particular project :o)

I think I still owe:

dunno if this is true for other languages...

<tip type="Optimising ActionScript arrays" author="Lindsay Evans">

When initialising an array, then filling it with a number of values, it
takes a lot less processing time if you do it all in one go. ie:

aMyArray = [1,2,3];

is faster than:

aMyArray = new Array();
aMyArray[0] = 1;