[thelist] Netscape 6.2 on Mac

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 04:30:36 CST 2001

>We check browser versions on our intranet, and noticed that suddenly NS
>6.2 Mac couldn't get in (we're checking for 4.08 or greater). After a
>bit of puzzling, we realized that it's identifying itself as "Netscape
>0.9", even though 6.1 Mac didn't. (Windows is fine, haven't checked any
>other platforms.)
>
>So if you're requiring 4.08 or higher, you might want to double check
>your script. We haven't decided what we're going to do yet.
>
>[ if (b="Netscape") and ((v >= "4.08") or (v = "0.9")) ] let 'em
>through, I guess.

Tested it: the browser string looks normal, no 0.9 version where you'd
normally look for a version (after the 'Mozilla/' or after the 'Netscape').

Therefore I think the browser detect has been written incorrectly. Even
worse, I darkly suspect that you don't need a browser detect at all (you
very,very  rarely need one).

OK, I admit this is one of my pet peeves, but maybe you should reconsider
the entire browser detect. See
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?detect.html for a working detect
script and ample reasons *not* to use it.

ppk