[thelist] How does one choose a charset?

Warren Rohner warren.bulk at oi.co.za
Fri Dec 14 06:08:54 CST 2001

Hi all

I have a quick question, and it's something that I've always been curious
about. With all the many various charsets out there, how does one go about
deciding which to use at the top of Web documents? What are the
distinctions say, between using US-ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16 and ISO-8859-1? How
important is it to be accurate in your selection of a charset?

Maybe someone could help me by answering this once and for all. :)

Thanks
Warren Rohner