[thelist] Webhosting in AU

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Fri Dec 14 07:04:44 CST 2001

I am contemplating biting the bullet and shelling out some of my hard
earned cash for a domain / server combo and was wondering what view you
guys had on those in the biz down under.

My needs are simle at the moment: www, php, mysql and mail as a possible
extra.

I am running my own mail server at home at the moment and wouldn't mind the possibility of just using it to control all my mail needs.  From memory this involves some setup using an "etrn" command on my mail server to collect mail from an external source.

And tips / comments would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is not necessarily web related, but it happened to me today and took my 4 hours of phone calls to get fixed. (delays caused by internal problems and not directly by the problem).

<tip author="Michael Pemberton" type="Using Win2k with WinNT Servers">
NEVER allow a Windows 2000 user / admin alter the properties of a Windows NT share.

This causes the properties such as security priviledges to be unable to be altered using Windows NT after Windows 2000 has been near them.  This is very annoying when some or your "hardcore" admins have held off the Windows 2000 upgrade until it is forced upon them.
</tip>

--
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net