[thelist] css for valign?

DAVID FIELDS d.fields at nr.cc.mn.us
Fri Dec 14 11:09:47 CST 2001

In a two-column layout I'm working on, I need (ok, I'd like) to align
text to the top of both table cells without dropping valign="top" in the
html. Why? Sometimes the secondary navigation column on the left is
longer than the content, other times the content on the right is much
more lengthy. I'd really rather not have a huge whitespace above the
content of whichever content block is shorter.

I haven't found a css specifier to do this yet. The "vertical-align:"
text property is only concerned with text alignment relative to other
inline elements, not placement within a block element. And none of the
block elements appear to have any control over vertical alignment of
content within their borders.

If I was using purely css for layout (divs instead of tables) then this
wouldn't be any trouble ... the divs would float next to each other,
independent in length. Great. Semi-unfortunately though, the current
tabled layout needs to stay.

Please tell me I can deal valign="top" its final blow.