[thelist] Alternatives to Frames?

Vic Wooten vicwooten at eaglewebservices.com
Fri Dec 14 11:41:43 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Alternatives to Frames?

> > From: Chad Savage <jg3_savage at yahoo.com>
> >
> > Interesting... but do iFrames have the same problems
> > as frames? i.e., inability to bookmark them, search
> > engine snafus, all that stuff?

No. An iframe is an inline element.

> iframe or frame, it's still a frame, so all the usual caveats still
> apply... with one noticeable difference -- see below...
>
> > The iFrame tag is still new to me, and I'm curious
> > about what its strengths/limitations are. The main
> > thing I can see that it has over 'regular' frames is
> > the ability to position it within a page much more
> > concisely and gracefully... but as I understand it,
> > the iFrame tag is not supported by NS4.+?
>
> iframe is not supported by NN4.x-, which means if you use it, not
> only is it a frame, but it's a frame that cuts all NN4.x- users, as
> well as a few other browsers...

But is "nonetheless", an acceptible html 4.0 element...according to the
Worldwide Web Consortium!

Ref:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.5

My question is, "When will all browser makers build browsers that render
pages designed using accepted html specifications so that 'we' do not have
to concern ourselves with rendering differences"?

> > I keep trying to get you people to talk about this, to
> > no avail... ;)

As you can see you at least have my attention.

Vic