[thelist] Alternatives to Frames?

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Fri Dec 14 12:07:02 CST 2001

> Von: "Vic Wooten" <vicwooten at eaglewebservices.com>
> Antworten an: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Datum: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:42:23 -0500
> An: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Betreff: Re: [thelist] Alternatives to Frames?
>
>> iframe is not supported by NN4.x-, which means if you use it, not
>> only is it a frame, but it's a frame that cuts all NN4.x- users, as
>> well as a few other browsers...
>
> But is "nonetheless", an acceptible html 4.0 element...according to the
> Worldwide Web Consortium!
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.5
>
> My question is, "When will all browser makers build browsers that render
> pages designed using accepted html specifications so that 'we' do not have
> to concern ourselves with rendering differences"?

In the future. Until then, we have to do our best to accept these
differences and stick by the code guidelines laid out by the W3C to "do our
bit" - if we expect one part of the web industry to start sticking to "the
rules" then surely we should be doing the same.

As a reference, HTML 4.0 was superceded by XHTML 1.0 in January 2000. I'm
not sure whether the spec contains iframe as I'm useless at finding things
like that in the W3C website.

Regards
Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland