[thelist] Advantages of ie6 over 5.5

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 05:14:20 CST 2001

>Hope this isn't off topic but what are the advantages of upgrading to ie6
> >PC from ie5.5 PC from a design and coding standpoint?

Hardly any. I'm very disappointed in IE6. The only things added to it are
the DOCTYPE, where setting any doctype causes the browser to behave to what
I suppose MS engineers think are the standards, but really is just a chaotic
jumble of good and bad ideas, and some minor stuff like display: list-item
and a few DOM things. The browser should have been called IE 5.6 .

As to upgrading, you probably should have a copy of IE6 to test sites with.
But don't throw away IE5 yet, more people still use 5 than 6.

ppk