[thelist] Web to print solutions

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Tue Dec 18 21:33:49 CST 2001

At 06:35 PM 12/18/2001, you wrote:
>We produce a catalog that has several sections of pretty intensive data
>content -- electrical specs, etc. All this data exists on our website and
>is in our SQL database on the web server.
>
>Presently the catalog is prepared manually, by marking up and revising the
>prior year's Quark Xpress files. I want to instead publish from the
>web-based data (which is always fresh).
>
>Am looking for semi-automated approaches. We can quite easily write
>programs to display exactly the data we need but how do we get it to print?
>
>I expect the right answer is to generate text files with style tags, that
>could be imported directly into Quark Xpress (perhaps via a plug-in to
>interpret the tagging?)
>
>Can anyone point me toward some solutions for this kind of thing?

This is one of the advantages of using style tags.... being able to do
whatever you want with the content. Good idea.

Regarding printing:
This doesn't answer your Quark question, but have you considered PDF as a
print solution? You could then just print right from the Web page, just
using a style sheet for printing purposes instead. But if you need it to
specifically go into a Quark file, never mind.....

Warmly,
Shirley

--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.