[thelist] New Site -

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Wed Dec 19 13:12:09 CST 2001

>http://www.miniusa.com

I love it. Fun site, attractive, and effective way to view the product.

But I would probably not have done it this way. Beyond the Flash
question, there is the page size question. Modems still rule and
people are still impatient.

I think many here are asking the wrong question -- it's not whether
this is right or wrong but what percent of users are you sending away
and to what end? Could they have designed a modem and
browser-friendly site that would have done their job? Are you willing
to disenfranchise 5% or 10% or whatever percent of your audience (my
guess is that it's much higher than the Macromedia spin would have
you believe, even before considering download speed).

People are surmising that the target for this product are the type
that would have Flash and I question that assumption. I will bet the
makers of that site made that argument but I would bet with odds that
they never -measured- it.

When we use big pages and plug-ins and Java and such, we must test
and measure even more. I don't think many companies -- and many web
designers - do that. They don't consider all the customers -- the
ones who can't get wideband, who are using four-year old computers,
road warriors with laptops, foreign customers connecting across half
a planet.

It is a natural tendency to design for oneself, to imagine that the
audience is like oneself, but it is a bad habit.