[thelist] background colours on alert, confirm prompt boxes etc

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Dec 19 13:45:05 CST 2001

JJS,

> These are system-dependent. However, according to CSS2, you might be able
> change some of these settings, provided that the target browser supports
this
> part of CSS2. See:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/ui.html#system-colors>

    You are right that the background color of dialog boxes are
system-dependent. And although there is no technical reason why a particular
browser manufacturer couldn't make the background color of dialog boxes
web-developer-configurable, fortunately none that I know of do at this
point.
    But the system colors in the CSS 2 recommendation are actually intended
to allow the developer to use existing system colors in the design of a
page, rather than to allow the developer to *change* the system colors. So
if a user has set some wild colors for the system, your web page, using the
system color keywords available through CSS, can appear perfectly integrated
into that color scheme.
    For an example of using system colors (and font-families) in a web page,
see the embedded style sheet in jeff howden's home page [1].

James Aylard

1. http://members.evolt.org/jeff/