[thelist] Memory question

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 06:05:01 CST 2001

At 02:47 21/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Sorry. This may be a duplicate. I don't think I used the correct outgoing
>email address. If so, please disregard.
>
>I'd like to buy more memory for my 466MHz Intel Celeron machine. I have a
>fixed 3.2Gb drive (C) and what was once a portable but is now a fixed
>3.2Gb second drive (D & E). I added a 128Mg DIMM after originally
>purchasing the machine, so I now have 160Mb system RAM. With all the stuff
>I now have loaded on, it's just not enough, w-a-a-a-y not enough!
>
>Question: Would it be best to install a 256Mg DIMM or should I buy another
>128Mg one? And should it be a PC 133 instead of a PC 100? I'm using Win98SE.

There's little point spending the (agreeably small) extra cost of pc133 RAM
if your motherboard doesn't let you run a 133MHz front side bus (FSB).
There could be a case for it if you're thinking of upgrading your
motherboard sometime soon.

I don't know if pc133 RAM will work at all on a motherboard that doesn't
have a 133 FSB. It probably does, but i've not tried it so i'll bow to the
expertise and experience of others who have.

If you can, why not add an extra 256 AS WELL as the 128?