[thelist] Win2K - Services.exe 100% CPU usage

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Dec 27 13:17:23 CST 2001

I run Win2K professional and have ALL patches and service packs installed.
(I check for updates every 3 days.)

A problem has surfaced in the last couple of days. When I dial into my ISP,
the Dialup Networking window goes from "Dialing" to "Verifying username and
password" to "Registering your computer on the Network" - all like it
should go.

But at the last step, my PC's CPU usage shoots up to 100% (even if I have
nothing else running) and when I check in Task Manager, it's "services.exe"
(the app that manages connections) that's hogging the CPU. So what should
be a 5 second step takes 1-2 minutes.

The problem repeats itself when I right click the connection icon in the
system tray and click on "Disconnect". The CPU use again shoot up to 100%
for a minute or two before it disconnects.

This problem was identified by Microsoft as a bug and resolved in Service
Pack 1. I've got Service Pack 2 installed so I shouldn't have any issues.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

TIA,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant