[thelist] Business/Payment Question........

jeana jeana at stormdrain.org
Sat Dec 29 19:42:46 CST 2001

> What kind of payment terms do you all demand?

Fyi.. good thread btw...  I'm in the process of writing a business
plan/contract outlines etc.... So I really don't have any real-life
experience to add here... but one question that has been plaguing my mind
while I've read is ... I'm wondering if the contract is simply not
Black-and-white enough?  I mean, if the client signs a contract saying...
"payment will be payed when _______ is completed, and work will be submitted
by this date _________" can the contract still be questionable (and the
client jerk you around as in Sandy's case)?

Or (no offense Sandy) is it possible that Sandy's contract was too vague...
and a lesson is learned to write contracts that outline *everything* (and
moreso maybe on a case-by-case scenerio...meaning, perhaps "trust" is built
with previous clients.. and contracts not so strict for them.. but for new
clients... perhaps that black and white solid edge a designer needs to
protect themselves).

I hope my thoughts/questions made sense.

Thanks,
Jeana