[thelist] site header and logo (fwd)

Heather Quinn hgquinn at attglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 10:06:10 CST 2001

Lots of white can be pleasant, so I don't see that as a negative.  What
you're missing is dynamics.  The expanse of white does nothing to offset
this.

Header 2 has the best dynamics, due to the logotype cutout's strong
shape and the way it focuses the eye on the logo; and the dense
texture/depth you've achieved via the shades-of-grey and dark red
typographic interplay in the rest of the header.

Since you have a big investment in the header's design, consider adding
dyanamics via color mods (more saturation, more varied palette, bigger
range of values, or some such change).

I'm personally not a big fan of using just two complementary colors
against white or a neutral, as a base color scheme.  Why?  Artistically,
it hints at risk-taking (strong color contrast) without actually taking
the risk (white always buffers the contrast), esp. when one of the two
colors is dulled down, as here (the red).  Emotionally, it reads as
simultaneously strong and hesitant, which makes me feel uncomfortable
cause I can't resolve the opposing qualities.

Imagine getting dressed.  Would you put grey chinos with a white shirt,
dark red belt, and bright green socks?  Nope.  Switch the socks and
shirt colors.  Again, nope.  OK, it's more formal.  Grey suit with
lighter grey pinstripes, white shirt, dark red and bright green striped
tie?  No way.  Got to change that tie's colors somehow.

You're doing business colors, but there's no reason not to throw a
little hot stuff in there.  In fact, many of the most successful
businessmen tend to be really great at using color when they dress.
 Why? They're optimistic and full of life, and express this in their
clothing choices.  Their appearance, including their choice of colors,
raises the morale of those around them, creating in others an increased
willingness to accept and support what these guys promote, which gives
these guys a competitive edge.

So consider adding a bit more risk or lightheartedness to the color
intensities, range of values, etc..  Some change of this kind will give
your header enough interest to make it work the way you want it to.

--
Cheers,

Heather Quinn
info at windyhilldesign.com