[thelist] The use of color (was site header and logo)

Alliax damiencola at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 30 20:05:56 CST 2001

Hello, thanks for both your and Ben's answers.

Thanks to Ben who's found the RGB2HSV function:
http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ncs/color/t_convert.html

Heather, I was not interrested in getting the inverse of a RGB color,
because I already worked the solution out, it wasn't that hard :-)
But as far as my art theory goes, inverse colours are not specialy useful
visually, except for black and white.. (perhaps I don't see the obvious
usefulness of inverse colours?)

It was just that I recently heard of a complimentary color to each color,
and I thought I could use that in order to create visually pleasing sites
without choosing the base colour myself.

Since I'll do it in PHP, I think once you have converted your RGB values to
HSV, you have to do a rotation of the H angle, change a little bit (random
offset) S and V values for not looking too rigid in the choice of colours.
Then you'll have to convert back your new HSV values to RGB in order to use
them in HTML table borders and likewise graphical elements on your page.

from what I understood, the rotation of H angle should be 180°
I take this from this page:
http://www.liquisoft.com/color.html
I think it's correct, I'll report to evolt about that after my tests if it's
wrong.

I'll do testing on toulonparadise.com as soon as I have the courage, surely
next year :-)

Thanks again

Cordialement,

__ Alliax         ~CV : http://LingoParadise.com/cv.php