[thelist] Also Graphics Related

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 16:40:53 CST 2002

> From: "Salvatore Palmisano" <spalmisano at usashs.com>
[...]
> My personal website has a photo album that uses one page to display
> thumbnails and another to dynamically grab the image and display it
> for the user.  Currently Im manually creating each thumbnail and
> having to maintain two directories (one for thumbs and one for
> original sizes).  Id like to automate the resizing of the images, but
> I havent found much in the way of examples. I did find a component
> (ASPImage) that does the resizing but it costs and Id like to find
> something free or just write it myself.  I know I can grab the
> dimensions of the image and do a HEIGHT= and WIDTH= but that still
> forces a DL of the entire image size.
[...]

i hate to sound like a dolt on this, but why would you make the
server do the image manipulation instead of automating it in
Photoshop (or ImageReady)?  i'm working on the assumption that
you have PS (based on previous posts, but i do confuse easily)...

i say this because this ASP function just seems like too much
work for the server to do... either it resizes the image *every* time
(which would be silly), or it does it once when requested, meaning
they all get resized within your testing timeframe (and you still have
different directories full of images)...

so why make the server do it, where you lose control over the
image quality and where it throws extra stress on the server that
can be done elsewhere?

i can understand it if you want people who are web-dull to be able
to upload a photo and have the system automagically create all the
different thumbnail sizes it needs, but this is for your personal site...