[thelist] help with project planning

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Wed Jan 2 18:22:04 CST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, John Corry wrote:

> I'm trying to develop a more clear-cut process to determine what my clients
> need, and then show them how we got there so I can justify the (usually
> greater) expense of producing *that* site.

The bottom line in a case like yours always has been, and always will be,
the business case to support your idea.

Now, the advice given at various destinations ("Web ReDesign" among them)
gives you a solid framework.

You might also get some ideas by looking at hesketh.com, which publishes
its process for all to see.

In your case, I suspect that the pivot of the proposal will be new
objectives - what does the client want to accomplish with a redesign, that
they're not getting already?  Everything else will follow from this...
even if the objectives aren't changing.

If you put a magnifying glass on this stage of the process, it rapidly
becomes apparent that you'll need to examine how well the existing
objectves have been met, and how to improve results.

If nothing changes, you still get your chance to show your art direction
chops... which probably isn't as good as paying off your credit cards, but
something to strive for nonetheless.

'Luck,
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."