[thelist] css cascading order and browser support

Adam adam at hallinteractive.com
Thu Jan 3 09:16:20 CST 2002

ok friends
I need your brains

I have two probs with a website that i'm already behind on.

http://www.hall-assoc.com/clients/hatest/

in the "our work > portfolio > packaging" section there are sub section
links where the options under "packaging" are available. In the interests of
setting up a visual hierarchy I wanted to set these options to 9px in my
external css
( http://www.hall-assoc.com/clients/hatest/main.css  -see a.sub:link).
however, in this same external css I've set values for the <li> list item
tag at 11px.

sooooo on my ie5.0 / mac9.1, on the "packaging" page the 9px declaration
seems to be overridden by another declaration, yet at the same time on the
clearchoice page the 9px declaration works fine.

Do I set priority to the a.sub:class using "!important" (isnt this also
another feature not supported in nn4?, -as the chart from
http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml tells me).
and if I should decide to use "!important" where do i put it? in the
reference to the external css? in the a.sub:link declaration? inline?
 doesn't the inline style override the external in the natural cascading
order? How do I get around this if at all? (time is of course an issue)
clearly my css is weak.

can anyone offer some insight into this?

also...

vs.

for links that should behave as links yet go nowhere.

thoughts?

thx,
Adam.