[thelist] December stats for evolt.org

MacEdition's CodeBitch codebitch at macedition.com
Fri Jan 4 17:28:52 CST 2002

Thanks,

May I use this information in a future column?

> Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:04:02 -0600
> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
>
> MacEdition's CodeBitch wrote:
>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> This is all very interesting. See also
>> http://www.macedition.com/cb/cb_20011231.php for an analysis of MacEdition's
>> stats, with more detail on Mac browsers, and an Analog file
>

> nice article
>
>> (http://www.macedition.com/cb/manconf.cfg) that cleans up a lot of search
>> engine spiders and concentrates on the humans.  Note that the default Analog
>

> very thorough list of bots and search engines in there, nice!
>
> heres the reworked browser report:

<snip
> interesting seeing it that way..i'm suprised so many people use Konq..
> looks like i have a couple more user-agents to block too.
>
> btw, since we're talking about it.. do you see Inktomi's slurp bot
> accessing directories that are disallowed in the robots.txt file? I've
> been seeing it in the last month off and on.. would hate to block them
> out like the rest of the spambots, but they're archiving things they
> shouldn't be.. just wondering :)

Have to admit I haven't tracked this. Slurp used to report as Mozilla 3.0
but I'm seeing tags with Mozilla 5 in there as well. This could be a
different bot masquerading as Slurp masquerading as Mozilla. Ech.

> I'm not sure that it *isnt* slurp, but the number of hits from slurp
> bots didn't seem high enough to explain the jump in NS browsers..

Still, the percentage is in line with other sites.

> And percentages are now on for future reports, good suggestion(i'm easy
> to convince! :)

Many thanks.  If you put the SUBBROW */* option on in the analog.cfg file,
you will get an even more comprehensive report.

Cheers,
CB