[thelist] Some CSS problems

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 07:47:31 CST 2002

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a design, at the moment (can't be posted on
the web, due to lack of anywhere to put it), and have run
into a dilemma.

The layout is 2 columns, plus a fixed background image at
the top. I'm using margins to keep the two columns (divs)
within the edges of the page. As in, the divs are below the
level of the picture/ logo thing, and 20 pixels off all the
edges and each other. (Except IE stops them when it runs
out of content for whatever reason). Now, because position:
fixed isn't reliable enough yet, I want them statically
positioned, and staying that size and scrolling once
there's more content than fits in, as in overflow :auto;.
Unfortunately this doeswn't work because no height is
actually specified, but automatically worked out by the
margin rules (best way to work for all screen sizes).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I may circumvent this?

(That would have been a lot easier to explain with the
actual page, dammit.)

Oh, and I'm on digest mode, so I may be slow in responding.

TIA, Lach

=====