[thelist] web companies in NY

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Tue Jan 8 13:34:31 CST 2002

Thought I'd weigh in here...

> Being a resident of NYC, I can tell you that you're a brave man for
> moving
> here right now. Not in the personal safety sense, but in the job market
> sense,
> because the market is quite tight right now. I don't mean to be
> discouraging,
> There's always work somewhere, but you should expect up to a 3-4 month
> job
> hunting process and heavy competition.

This is dead on. The NYC economy is not in great shape and the large
consulting houses are hurting harder than about anyone. With the
exception of really senior people, I seriously doubt you'll find job ops
at the Sapients of the world. Remember that the NYC is largely driven by
the financial sector. And during a recession the financial sector really
suffers.

> Of course, apartments are dirt cheap in
> Battery Park City! (that's the neighborhood right next to G-Zero).

Heh. Remember were talking NYC affordable. The rents for a 1-bdr would
make most of you in saner areas of the country (and world) do a
collective spit take.

That said, NY is just great. Good luck and enjoy.

I've heard that there are some good firms in Buffalo. The problem is
finding them under all that snow :)

-j

trans-city
writers who code