[thelist] bigger hosting - a trend? (fwd)

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue Jan 8 14:20:35 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

While of course each needs to be assessed on its merits, and I'm
generalising somewhat, the largest number of high-profile failures
*are* down to bad business models (and it's less of a generalisation
than "Big Companies Fail"). Or general management stupidity and
overspend on the wrong things (is this business model too? Arguably
so).

Yes, some deserved to survive - ClickMango possibly for one. Yes,
some did get hit because their second round of fundraising was at the
wrong time. But that's not the most common occurance.

If Amazon (who are profitable on books btw in most of their markets)
have an unrealistic view of the number of customers they can attract,
that's a bad business model. And far too many VCs and dot-coms
bought the Amazon business model of "Get big very fast", which means
you *have* to spend large amounts on your infrastructure. And it doesn't
work very often, so it's an unreliable business model for most companies.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org