[thelist] bigger hosting - a trend? (fwd)

Cleo TB1124 mrscleo at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:00:00 CST 2002

Thanks to all who answered, and thanks to Dave for forwarding (you'll have
to forward this one too, I don't have access to my regular mail these days).

While the conversation that got generated is interesting, it's not quite
what I expected. I guess I should have given details on the sort of sites
and hosting I was talking about.

First case:
http://dmeb.net (a site now abandonned)
After being up for 2 months on a 25$/month hosting plan, I got a call that I
had to upgrade my hosting and that it would cost *me* 500$/month to keep
hosting the site. I ended up splitting the site over a few servers to keep
costs down. Bandwidth was a problem, I had 40Gig bandwidth for the second
month.
http://www.sithclan.net (in French)
A site dedicated to Starwars for the French speaking fans.
We went from a 20$/month hosting plan to a 35$/month, only to be kicked off
that plan because the load on the server was too high. The site is PHP and
mysql-based. We are now on a 50$/month plan, and hoping for the best cause
we can't pay more.  We're talking 2,000 unique visitors daily on this site,
about 10,000 page views daily.
http://jessifanfic.net (I think that's the URL, may not be though)
a fanfiction site about the show Roswell.  She's been quoted *today* for a
100$/month plan to host her site. Bandwidth is not high, just the load on
the server. All pages are static.
I know of quite a few others in the same category, fanfic sites, or fan
sites in general.

None of these sites sell anything, yet they are getting more and more
popular, and there's no hosting out there that can "take" them at a price
that an individual can pay. Self-publishing is now getting quite limited. If
you're good and successful, you're dead! Ad servers don't want to serve
them, the sites are just not quite big enough, and ad servers are having a
hard time as it is. Sithclan.net is having a tough time coming up with 50$US
per month for its hosting.

I think I'm discouraged. I see these requests for help about hosting just a
tad too often these days...

Oh, and for those who don't know,
Cleo is my alter ego.
Nicole Parrot, at the beach again.