[thelist] Text to Voice

McCoy, Alan amccoy at goodmanct.com
Wed Jan 9 07:55:03 CST 2002

> The narrator is ok but it read the whole screen.  I want to be able to
> highlight some text and just have that read.
> Anybody know of something that will do this?

We did a little research into this while I was at NASA. Microsoft has a
whole speech API and SDK that I *think* had a browser addon that allowed
you to select some text and right-click to show the "read to me"
command. The MS speech engine would then kick in and read the selected
text to you. I don't remember, however, if the browser addon was part of
the MS package or if it was a third-party thing.

Anyway, the URL for the MS speech stuff is
http://www.microsoft.com/speech/

HTH,

Alan