[thelist] web companies in NY

Matt mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com
Wed Jan 9 08:02:41 CST 2002

deke wrote:

> The problem with NYC is that it's NYC. There's an acute shortage of
> land in that part of the country, and the resulting cost of real estate
> is going to depress the local economy. Even when the rest of the
> country is booming, NYC only does so-so.

I don't know what you define as booming, but during the Bubble NY was doing
something which sure resembled a boom. Anyone who was here then can tell
stories of being harassed day and night by desperate recruiters, of people
changing jobs 3 times in one year and getting a 40% pay raise each time, of
job boards fairly bursting with industry positions. The Financial,
Advertising and Publishing sectors are all largely based in NY, and all were
in overdrive during the Bubble. They're also the industries experiencing the
most pain right now, and Publishing probably hasn't even cratered yet. those
industries were also the ones pushing the massive demand for designers,
information architects, developers, etc., and all are shedding more jobs than
they're taking in at this point. Having lived in Chicago early in the Bubble
and then moved to New York, I would say that NY definitely experienced the
bubble more intensely, and is now experiencing the recession more strongly.

Matt