[thelist] Linux connection to multiple Unix boxes via Digiboard?

Joel joel at spinhead.com
Thu Jan 10 01:23:54 CST 2002

> One alternative is a multi-serial port card on your Linux box,
> but I have no experience there.

Um, it's a Digiboard, which is what I was asking about originally. :)

> [ . . . ]

> Say you have three Suns -- #1, #2, #3 -- in a rack. Get three RS232
> cables and connect #1 port B to #2 port A; #2 port B to #3 port A;
> #3 port B to #1 port A.

If I understand this correctly, if #2 goes down, I lose my connection to
#3, right? I mean, if they're serial, no matter which one goes down, I
lose that one AND the connection to the next one, leaving only one of
three up. The odds improve when we have six Suns in the room, but if
that's the correct understanding, it's cool for a hack but I need 101%
uptime on these boxes and they're willing to pay for it. (That's a hint
for suggestions that aren't based on saving money, which I normally
appreciate enormously but isn't a worry in this case.)

Thanks for the feedback, Hassan. When I've got Suns of my own you can
bet I'll remember this.

joel