[thelist] file types

Jon Haworth jhaworth at witanjardine.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 09:31:08 CST 2002

> Rather it show untitled in the file name and in the file type line it
shows
> only bmp option and no other option.

OK, that means it's a .bmp file (a Windows Bitmap), not a .gif - this might
explain why you're having trouble saving it as a .gif :-)

> gifs saved and properly saved as ***.gif will not initialize...even a
> background file.

Windows works out a file's type by its extension, so if you save a bitmap as
"mypic.gif", when you try and open it Windows will assume it's a gif.
Unforunately it will then get confused, because as it tries to read the file
all it will be getting is bitmap data, not gif data.

> In Window ME how do I associate these so that when I save a gif it is
saved
> under the correct name/filetype.

You don't need to change any associations, you just need to save a bitmaps
as .bmp and gifs as .gif. Whichever extension Internet Explorer prompts you
to save the file with is the correct one.

Try saving the same picture with a .bmp extension, and all should be well.

HTH
Jon