[thelist] Force download of pdf using coldfusion

Ryan Carmody carmodyryan at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:15:49 CST 2002

Hi all,

I searched the archives on this issue and found some good info, but still
couldn't quite get this work.  I'd like to have a link that a user can click
to download a pdf file to their hard drive (not open in browser).  I tried
using the cfcontent tag, but to no avail.  Here's what I tried

<cfcontent type="application/pdf" file="#path##file_name#.pdf">

which causes the file to open in the browser.  If I modify the type by
changing it to say type="text/pdf", the download prompt opens like I'd like,
but the file name to save is the name of the cf file this code resides in
and the file type is coldfusion.  I guess I could just zip the pdf file.  If
anyone can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it much.

Thanks,
Ryan