[thelist] how design affects ecommerce

Jamie Bakum jamie.bakum at circle.com
Fri Jan 11 06:45:21 CST 2002

>The best way is to get them in the mindset that they are now buying
>something, is to collect their information, before presenting
>shipping and tax information.

I disagree, though to some extent it depends on what you're selling -
For something fairly unique (not so much the uniqueness of the item
or service, but the uniqueness of the source) I don't mind so much
finding out until the end.

But comparison shopping becomes a *big* hassle when that info isn't
readily available - I just bought a laptop. Comparing the price of
the computer was simple enough, but shipping options ranged from $13
to over $60 with as much as a 50% variation between vendors for the
same shipping service - More importantly, I was looking at over $100
in potential sales tax I was hoping to avoid.

I don't see how putting a button that says "calculate shipping" or
"states we do business in" up front does anything but put a customer
in more of a buying mode. Especially if you can offer service
comparable to or better than your competitors.
--

Jamie