[thelist] Netscape 4 is evil?

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Sat Jan 12 02:04:43 CST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Moe Rubenzahl wrote:

> Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I would never hire a designer whose
> page has elements that deliberately exclude part of the audience
> without very good reason. I think we have an obligation to know our
> audience and cater to their needs.

Ouch!  That does 'sound' harsh.

I agree that the site shouldn't break completely in Netscape 4.x.

However, there comes a time when developers as a group have to say that
"enough is enough."

Seriously.

In other words, make sure that a visitor can download, follow links from,
and themselves parse your site in Netscape 4.

But anymore, my practice is to spell out the consequences of full Netscape
4.x support, one of which is the need for a higher budget.

I'm so sick and g-ddam tired of working around Netscape 4 bugs and issues,
of forked script code, of being forced to use table-based markup and/or
Netscape 4's JavaScript stylesheet syntax (the documentation for which
is in many places inaccurate) to give clients what they demand.

And I know that I'm one of many.

Regards,
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."