[thelist] Netscape 4.x CSS

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sat Jan 12 19:01:40 CST 2002

At 03:25 PM 01/12/2002, Edwin Martin typed:
>Ken,
>
>>Thanks for the links. Wouldn't it be great if we all woke up one morning
>>and NN4.x just *worked*? :-)
>
>Wouldn't it be great if we all woke up one morning and nobody used
>NN4.x anymore? :-)
>
>Bye,
>Edwin Martin

Ah, yes, now that would certainly be a dream come true.

It's also clear to me that the people who create all the worms and viruses
aren't web developers. Otherwise they would have blasted NN4.x long ago. <grin>

It will indeed be nice when NN4.x isn't a consideration at all anymore. The
stats are getting lower and I've been changing how I design sites....
except that I use a separate @import external style sheet to keep NN4 from
mangling certain CSS. Totally dumping tables is what's on my list next, but
I'll be creating designs for that rather than trying to adapt old designs
that were really designed for being created with tables.

I also feel it's up to each of us to work on real world ways to implement
W3C recommendations, show others by example, and help educate newbies and
everyone else. WaSP has made great strides in influencing the browser
companies, and as they stated at their site not long ago, they're on a
leave of absence for the moment considering their next phase to help
educate designers, developers. (They really didn't quit!)

evolt.org is also becoming more and more influential, and its strong
reputation in the Web community also means that articles and tutorials at
evolt.org have increasingly more potential to (and already do) make a
difference. The article on the redesign is one example of a particular
article here that provides a real world means of working with standards
while allowing everyone to use the site.

Back to NN4:
_Part_ of the reason that I'm aware of that so many people like the NN4.x
e-mail client and NN6 has been so problematic. If NN6 can remedy that
problem, that will help many to go ahead and upgrade their NN4 to NN6. Of
course there are other reasons than this, as we've discussed here and on
other lists. I find the e-mail reason an interesting one, though. Many are
used to having their email and browser in one program and don't want to
change that, either.

Warmly,
Shirley

--