[thelist] how design affects ecommerce

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Mon Jan 14 03:22:50 CST 2002

Hi Lisa

Sorry for the delay in responding, but snowmobiling trumped email
this weekend...

> Is it possible to give any urls so that I can look at the design and
> navigation flow. I maybe have my first online shopping cart job to do
> and to look at some existing sites you consider user friendly and well
> designed would be of great help.

You bet. Our company got out of designing and building e-
commerce sites 17 months ago, partly to gain perspective and
partly because there are greener pastures. Since then we've
continued to develop shopping carts for other designers.
Unfortunately I'm not generally pleased with the sites I've seen those
carts attached to, and I don't even know where most of them are.

But, I do have a demo of one of our shopping carts that is freely
available for anyone to download and use. Go to
http://doware.dowebs.com
and follow the link to the Mobile Cart Demo Store.

Last week Jared responded to this same thread with a link to two
excellent whitepapers ( http://www.uie.com ) written by his
company. Those two papers are great reading, hard core research
blowing away some cherished myths about e-commerce. One of
the papers, named pogosticking.pdf presents research on how
sales are lost by forcing visitors to bounce from page to page
collecting information on a product. Mobile Cart addresses that
same pogosticking problem, but from the shopping cart
perspective instead of the product list perspective. Mobile Cart
runs right on the page with the merchandise instead of on it's own
pages - away from the merchandise.

keith